The Place de la République straddles 10th and 11th arrondissements of Paris. This square is a living part of French capital’s history since 14th century when the Porte du Temple bastion was erected there.
Place de la Republique was formerly named Chateau d’Eau square referring to the fountain that stood there. The beauty of Place de la Republique was truly revealed after Baron Hausmann’s city planning in 1854. Crossroads of several Parisian boulevards, the Place de la République has hosted thereafter barracks, the diorama of Daguerre and the Magasins réunis. More recently, a new development plan of the square has been scheduled for the end of the year. The new Place de la République will be then much more accessible for pedestrians. This way the Place de la République will once again be adapted to the needs of its time.
In the middle of the square, the famous statue de la République stands proudly since 1883. This bronze statue tall of nearly 10 meters is settled on a 16 meters high stone pedestal and was sculpted by the Morice brothers. In 1879 the Republic was barely restored in France and a competition has been launched to create a monument that would personify republican spirit. The two brothers won this contest bringing into being this impressive allegory.
Our Best Price Online is